Why I want the X100

Photography used to be simple. When you bought a film you chose the ISO sensitivity. There was a dial for setting the shutter speed and the arperture ring was on the lens.


Todays cameras are either fully automatic or overloaded and complex. You need to look into the manual or on on-screen instructions just to learn which wheel controls the shutter speed, how to set the arperture and what dial allows exposure compensation. Everytime I use one of those digital cameras after a longer period I have to relearn their use.

I don't think this will happen with the X100. I am used to set the shutter speed with a dial and the arperture directly on the lens. It's the way my first camera worked.


The image above shows my very first camera which I bought with my first self-earned money at the age of 15. There was a needle and a circle in the viewfinder. By pressing the black lever next to the shutter button exposure could be checked. It was correct when the needle was within the circle. I used this camera more than 10 years. It was very easy to use.

My next cameras where all digital and setting shutter speed or arperture ment setting numbers on the display or in the viewfinder. Using them was by no means straightforward.

I don't say that I don't like todays camera automation but what's missing are dedicated, large and easy to read controls. The X100 promises a lot in this regard. It looks like a camera that is a joy to use.

Todays compact cameras are too small for my taste. Tiny wheels and knobs everywhere. From what I've seen so far the X100 looks to have just the right size.

I like that the lens doesn't move in any way and I don't mind the fixed focal length.


My first and so far only experience with Fuji cameras is the cheap (<100€) Fuji Q1 two megapixel digital camera that I bought in 2004. With good light the images straight from this full automatic camera looked very good with nice colors and good exposure considering the tiny sensor used. Compared to other cheap point and shoot cameras at that time the quality was great.


The image above was shot with the Fuji Q1.

The X100 is the first Fuji product that caught my attention since then. When I hear Fuji I can't help but think of great colors and I hope the X100 doesn't destroy this positive experience.